You’ve tried the drugs. You’ve tried the shots. Or maybe you’re nervous about putting either into your body. No one would blame you. As much as you want to conceive, the side effects from fertility drugs are scary. What are those meds doing to your body? What could they do to your baby’s body?
Side Effects of Fertility Drugs
There are several types of fertility drugs that a woman can take to increase her chances of conception. Clomid is one of the most well-known medications and of course there are injectables too. These drugs can feel like magic pills that will suddenly make you fertile and abundant, ready to be with child, but that isn’t the case for every woman.
What many women discover is that taking these drugs turns them into someone they don’t recognize, whether physically or emotionally. There are so many possible side effects:
- Constant PMS feeling: It’s bad enough to get inklings of PMS symptoms a week before your period is due when you’re trying to conceive. It’s even worse to feel like that all the time but fertility drugs can cause bloating, headache, upset stomach, breast tenderness, mood swings, and hot flashes.
- Weight gain: Already having a hard time feeling motivated because of your fertility meds and the difficulty of trying to conceive? Experiencing weight gain is a distinct possibility with fertility meds.
- Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS): This condition is an exaggerated response to excess hormones designed to stimulate the development of eggs in the ovaries. OHSS causes the ovaries to swell and become painful and can cause abdominal pain, bloating, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. The most severe cases of OHSS may require hospitalization.
- Depression and anxiety: While fertility meds are indicated to improve your body’s chances of conceiving, they can negatively affect your mind. Failure to conceive while on fertility meds can lead to depression while the use of the druds in general can be anxiety-inducing. Infertility and treatment for it – in any form – has been proven to be triggering.
- Pregnancy complications: Some women who do conceive on fertility drugs experience ectopic pregnancy, placenta problems, and other complications that put their life and the life of their baby at risk.
Improve Your Chances of Conceiving Without Fertility Drugs
The fertility program at Efforos is designed to help you improve your chances of conceiving naturally – without fertility drugs. We want you to feel like your best self, and we want to help your body perform at its peak.
We will not give you any meds that interfere with your fertility or hormones. We will do everything possible to enhance what your body is already capable of. Contact us today to learn more and get holistic support for your conception journey.